Friday, 20 November 2009

Prawn and Avocado Tagliatelle

I must confess to throwing this meal together after reading a few internet recipes and looking at what I'd got in various cupboards - I can't stand waste and I had a slightly over-ripe avocado to use up! So just in case you have some cheap prawns and an avocado...


Ingredients

  • 200 gr cleaned prawns
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 chopped chili
  • 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
  • 1 clove of garlic pureed or sliced
  • 1 tbsp of tomato puree
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 oz Tagliatelle
  • 1 tsp white wine vinegar
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 tbs chopped fresh basil
  • 1 handful of sliced carrots
  • 1 handful asparagus tips
  • Loads of Parmesan (see the photo!)
  • Salt and pepper (lots of the latter, little of the former) to taste

Method:

  • Cook Tagliatelle how you like it and whilst that goes on:
  • Rinse and drain the prawns.
  • Mix chili powder, tomato puree, garlic, ginger and olive oil in a bowl.
  • Cut avocado and remove pit. Scoop it out of the shell and put it into the bowl, get a hand blender and add vinegar and puree until smooth.
  • Microwave with clingfilm over the top (with holes!) for about 1 minute, making sure the clingfilm doesn't touch the ingredients!
  • Put 1 tbsp of water into a microwave dish, add the carrots and asparagus tips and microwave for about 4 minutes at full 850 power.
  • Add to the bowl and then very briefly pulse the hand blender to make smaller the carrot.
  • Add the prawns and simply leave til the pasta is done. Decent cooked and peeled prawns don't need cooking, just warming through. It's not necessary to have them hot for this dish.
  • When pasta is done drain, put on a plate, put the prawn and avocado mix on top, sprinkle Parmesan to taste and eat.

I really, really liked this - so much so I had to hurriedly rush up stairs (and for me that's a sacrifice - see other posts) and grab my camera to take a shot and then scribble down the recipe thereafter, before the slumber on the wine-soaked sea overwhelmed the night-time brain! I wonder what this weekend's invention test will be - I'll be lucky if it turns out as well!

4 comments:

  1. I failed this week's invention test, by the simple process of heating olive oil until it started to smoke and then spilling it over my right hand. Invention was interrupted by standing with my hand under the cold water tap for about 2 hours off and on. And yes, it was very painful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! I'd say it was worth it though - it looks great. I've only ever had avocado in salads or guacamole. Oh and in sweet stuff - that's a Burmese thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why can't you edit a comment you've just posted, FGS? Ah well, teach me not to be so hasty. I meant to start by saying thank you, but there was a third party involved... see my v recent post.

    More interesting is the sweet stuff? I'd cetainly envisaged using avocado in sauces before now; in effect a Guacamole is that... Lord, there's a thought, Chili, Avocado and Chocolate!!! I bet you it goes together (And my anti-burn therapy DOES include copious amounts of red wine and capital letters!

    ReplyDelete