Thursday, 12 November 2009

Fimbulwinter approaches

It must be something about the onset of winter; the last of my flowers (a poppy, no less) has bitten the dust and leaves are turning squelchy with the rain. The instinct is to hibernate, but the way work is going at the moment I can see no end to endless activity (unsurprisingly). And for those of us fortunate enough to be in work, that's what's happening. More and more actitivity and stress for the same money. It's nice to be valued and have a responsible position, but 50+ working hours a week is wearing when it's paired with perennial health problems.

So, I thought I'd blog a quick NHS rant/update; those who've read In the hall of the mountain king below will know that I have a blocked artery in my right leg (amongst other cardio-vascular problems). Following the sonogram I was told to make an appointment with my GP a week later, so that he could then refer me on to a clinical specialist. I made it a fortnight later, as I have no faith in the speed of the NHS.

Turn up for the appointment: Dr: "...and what can I do for you". Me: "Well I was rather hoping you'd have the results of my sonograms and were going to relay them to me." "Were they sent here?" Can you believe that question, how would I really know? The nurse could've eaten them for all I know. "I was told that they would be." "I'll get my secretary to search for them - they've probably gone to the dermatology department." "Should I call you." "No, I'll get her to call you." "And what about the referral?" "Oh, I can't do that without the notes." And that was two weeks ago. It's now 4 clear months since the condition forced me to go to the surgery, we have now managed to get a diagnosis; treatment, I feel, might be a while coming. (I tried to call whilst typing this 'We're closed this afternoon for staff training'...)

During this time I've been stuck full of needles (two kinds of 'flu jab - and boy the swine flu jab really does have some side effects), had blood drawn, told my blood pressure's high. (What a surprise!) Am I being wound up? Oh yes; especially when the nurse with the needles keeps saying "All right, my love?". I know I have short grey hair, but I'm not in the "I'm only 90 crowd" yet. And she cannot possibly fancy me! I'm still waiting for the calls back on the sonograms/referral, the blood tests (5 types) and the urine test.

14th November: And more... I went home early yesterday, mainly because I feel pretty unwell at the moment. I know this seems weird, but with all the other health stuff I feel discomfort or pain, but I very rarely feel unwell. But the swine flu jab is, well, a bit of a swine. I keep getting the symptoms of flu, but not all at the same time. So variously volleys of sneezes, the shivers, aches in the joints, blocked ears, runny nose and just generally feeling awful. A nurse told me that that was a 'good thing'... And now the letter has come through which tells me that they've at last consulted within the Dermatology department and referred it back to the surgery. But it's obvious from the dates that my Doctor's secretary has contacted them and they've found my results and realised they've sat on them for the best part of a month; time to box clever - send the results back to a different Doctor in the same practice! As for recommending treatment, they effectively suggest doing nothing unless I don't get better! So, that's 22 appointments with nurses, 4 appointments with Doctors, 3 appointments with hospitals to establish that there is a problem, it's not trivial and their recomendation is to do nothing.


And my wretched body clock which has become tied to European time, means that I get up at about 6 in the morning. That doesn't help. So I took the camera out in the hope of give you a feeling of just how early I do my supermarket shopping:

No comments:

Post a Comment