The Thunderbang, a wonderful cardboard and paper giveaway with the Dandy, came out about 1962, I
think. My brother and I used this to great effect until my mother burnt
them... You would creep up on a neighbour and accidentally crack one
off, so to speak, the neighbour would scream and you would say, I wasn't
sure it worked, can you try. And then you'd get the neighbours at it
too.
Apart from Mrs Williams... a very Welsh (coincidentally), very nasty piece
of work who flat out accused my mother of killing my grandfather*. I
painted BUM on her perfectly manicured front garden in weedkiller. It
was quite small so I had to keep the number of letters down. And it
worked quite effectively. I think my Mum and Dad guessed it was me, but
although I heard the old harpy complaining to them about their evil
kids, all that happened was I got an extra ice cream!
*For those
that keep track of my ramblings, this was Pink Grandad. A tremendous,
Olympian figure who enlisted at the start of the Great War and was
eventually invalided out at the end of 1917; I know he was at the first
battle of the Somme, so how any of us that descend from him (three at current count) did so is a miracle. When he fell down the stairs and died,
they had to do an autopsy, as they do with all sudden deaths. Apart
from being mostly deaf and completely blind, the poor old fellow had
been gassed, and subjected to all the diseases of the Western Front.
His heart gave out in the fall, but these never actually fully left him
and one of the things they found was the Bubonic Plague. You could not
make this up. He was bloody tough.
Apart from Mrs Williams... a very Welsh (coincidentally), very nasty piece of work who flat out accused my mother of killing my grandfather*. I painted BUM on her perfectly manicured front garden in weedkiller. It was quite small so I had to keep the number of letters down. And it worked quite effectively. I think my Mum and Dad guessed it was me, but although I heard the old harpy complaining to them about their evil kids, all that happened was I got an extra ice cream!
*For those that keep track of my ramblings, this was Pink Grandad. A tremendous, Olympian figure who enlisted at the start of the Great War and was eventually invalided out at the end of 1917; I know he was at the first battle of the Somme, so how any of us that descend from him (three at current count) did so is a miracle. When he fell down the stairs and died, they had to do an autopsy, as they do with all sudden deaths. Apart from being mostly deaf and completely blind, the poor old fellow had been gassed, and subjected to all the diseases of the Western Front. His heart gave out in the fall, but these never actually fully left him and one of the things they found was the Bubonic Plague. You could not make this up. He was bloody tough.