Wednesday, 15 September 2010

Un-Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Well, just a quick update. Seems I am now un-redundant for at least another six months. Which is something of a relief given the current job market as is and as is about to be; as I'm approaching (nay, rushing towards) 60 and with cropped white-grey hair, it's not exactly as though I am in the best demographic age-wise. The odd thing is that I have stunning references (I read them and wonder who is this paragon of an employee!) from my past jobs going back to the 1970s. And for 25 years I never actually applied for a job, I was always head-hunted.

And this is over different careers and industries - librarian, computer support specialist, CBT producer, designer, trainer whiz kid, and latterly all-singing, all-dancing office manager (before you ask, I manage myself). The consistent thing that appears through all are words like 'responsible, articulate, professional, reliable'. And oddly they're right, but what I don't understand is why everyone else isn't at least three of those things. Oh well, it's nice to have as your resumé 'a good egg'!

2 comments:

  1. Awww, I am sure you're a model employee Chumbles!! I am out looking for a job at the moment, and its hard out there. Especially when you're trained for something fairly useless in life, like me. In an alternative life, I swear to God, I would train as a plumber...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle, Useless? - I don't think so; one thing you're excellent at is content and content with photography at that - it might be worth a few emails off to Canadian magazines to see whether they want a cooking correspondent - "Got a cooking problem? ask MichBot!". And the local paper might be interested.

    ReplyDelete