I went looking for a review site to moan about a very expensive sauce I've just used. Not digested yet (if ever!), Loyd (how poncey is that, a single 'l') I'm talking about Grossman's Green & Black Peppercorn Sauce. I largely take Saturday off from cooking apart from some good ingredients and a decent pre-prepared sauce.
Now I'm used to them not being as good as I cook myself, but I bought this stuff at £2.08 this morning with a use by date of somewhen in 2010. Yes, next year... The steak was one of Tesco's finest (not that that means a huge amount, but it promises 28 days hanging) - it wasn't brill, but serves me right for not going to a decent butcher (1st find one near Aylesbury)...
The additions were some properly sauteéd potatoes with crispy onion rings and microwave-steamed green beans and carrots. Note: even on my idle days I like to be able to eat what I cook, and I can do that well. I went looking for a black pepper and cream sauce. The only thing which looked like it was one of these LG things. I've never had one before, but after all, the man wears glasses and promises that he's tasted these things?
Really ;-( I really, really doubt it - I microwaved as per the instructions exactly (I'm scrupulous on the first use of anything) and it was awful - I was able to scrape the semi-rancid crap off. I should know better - never buy a sauce which has a cream base and which says you can microwave it.
Oh, and as for flavour? 10 minutes with a pestle and mortar and some decent créme fraiche and capers and I would have achieved what I was after - teach me not to be so idle.
5 ways to cook Brussels sprouts
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment