One odd thing is that there is someone on Facebook who has the following handle: Lisa Duong - Masterchef 2011 -being something of a Luddite as far as these social sites are concerned I'm not prepared to join Facebook to see what she says about it or whether she has anything to do with the upcoming series (lord - I have a mobile phone, but only switch it on if there's an emergency that's how anti-instant communication I am!) .

I find it hard to believe that there are many more hidden talents like last year's amazing final trio (and not forgetting the wonderful beehive hairdo and chutzpah of Stacey Stewart). And who will return from last year? Sadly, it looks like we're going to have to endure the same repetitive voiceovers from India Fisher. But I wonder where it's being staged? The trailer indicates something like a cross between a converted gymnasium and a quaker meeting house! And it's kitted out rather more like Iron Chef than the old Masterchef classroom (in City Uni, if my memory is correct). No speakers at the moment, so I have watched without sound, but a couple of things made me laugh - a young guy cooking in a white trilby! vo - "Trilby Fred is cooking a gaspacho soup with turnip crisps" .... (My, I can't wait for that episode). And someone flamethrowing what looked like a green turd (Masterchef doesn't get tougher than this!).
Addendum - borrowed some headphones to listen to the sound track of the trailer and it is very good; there is a kind of tongue-in-cheek element present which I hope goes through some of the programme. From the opening, 2001 Space Odyssey bit to the almost final dialogue: Toad "Let's go and find some cooks", Egg "Let's get fatter" there is an appealing element of humour. But yes, it is India Fisher again.

And more - Michelle, apparently the series is being shot in a converted aircraft hangar) (but shurely shome mishtake ed - should have been a converted barn...). And another link to the Masterchef site where more is revealed about the mechanics - one of which is perhaps weird or sensible - the first few rounds are 'auditions' (ye ghods - shades of X Factor etc) where they cook in the new prep kichens before finishing their dish in the 'Judges Room'. That could be sensible in the sense that everyone prepares stuff up til the last bit and then re-heats/does the final stuff in the other room when they're judged. I guess that Egg and Toad have had enough of cold food!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletePlease don't tell me they've changed the filming location? The show's sadly become a victim of its success... so many things have changed since I was on it.
ReplyDeleteCan you believe, the first time I auditioned, all I wanted to be was on that 6 - 6.30 PM slot on BBC2?
Hi Michelle, sadly, by the looks of the trailer that's what's happened. I think you're right but I certainly agree with wanting that slot - why on earth they've changed it to a later time I have no idea, as the later time means if you're out for the evening you have to record it. The latter's not a hardship in itself, but then you occasionally end up with a potential 2 hour session - so I record the lot and watch a day behind.
ReplyDeleteI still think you wuz robbed! You have a real talent which they rather overlooked - you should've used more scallops!
Oh dear, I've just realised after reading Grace Dent that they've decided to model this one after the Indian version... which was a spectacular flop and so cringey I couldn't watch it after one ep. Dear oh dear!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd thanks for the sweet comments Chumbles, I did think that if I was one of the regular contestants that year I would have had a shot. Being a comebacker was a real drawback... but then again, I must have been the least serious of all the contestants, no wonder they wanted to kick me out when it got serious :-)
I was sooo sad when you went, mainly because your food always makes me hungry and it looked as if I could do it, but also you were great on TV because you looked and sounded good and actually seemed to be a real human being; some people appear like that and some don't (there's more than enough passion: enough of the quivering lip, the tear in the corner of the eye, the "my life will come to an end if I don't win").
ReplyDeleteI can only hope that you're wrong about naff presentation, but letting someone cook in a hat is madness! It does look far mpre stagey. A late update is that the 30 minute Friday session is not showing up in the schedule, hence the edit.