Very occasionally, over the years, I have stumbled (or rather thumbed with the remote) upon this horrible programme. It's called Big Brother. The title is derived from that puling idiot George Orwell's book 1984, a man obsessed with himself to the exclusion of any knowledge of his own lack of writing talent*. Bleeaagghh. And now, a programme has been running (which is mercifully going to come to an end - please god nothing like it is shown in its place) for some number of years which I have studiously avoided.
Where the Victorians had freak shows, we have this place on Channel 4 for the socially inept and damaged called... you guessed it. The same motivations that caused the Victorians to flock and point at the physically deformed and damaged drive people to watch this horror show. Whilst setting the TV to instantly come on to Countdown in the morning, I forgot this televisual excrescence would be showing and the aptly-name creature 'Shabby' was on the screen for about 45 seconds. During that 45 seconds she managed to underline and magnify every prejudice that I have about this orgy of self-aggrandisement. The fact that she has called herself 'Shabby' (I assume) speaks volumes about the mental time-bomb that's inside what passes for a mind. Am I alone in thinking that she seriously needs psychiatric help? I don't know if there's some sort of prize for staying in this asylum, but it wouldn't be big enough to keep me there! And why on Earth do people voluntarily watch it?
*And yes, I did have to study him for A-Level
5 ways to cook Brussels sprouts
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment