I know it's hard to credit, but every so often I try, again, an ingredient I've disliked before. Semolina is one such. A variant of this which gives me the gag reflex even just thinking about it is couscous - so bad they named it twice. It always tastes to me as though it's slightly off and has the texture of sawdust.
Semolina I first encountered in the pudding form at school; it was the horrible white viscous liquid into which you put jam in the vain hope that it would magically transform into something edible. It never did - we called it frogspawn, and with the jam, bloody frogspawn. (Go to the head's study, boy, and request three; three whacks across the top of the thigh with a slipper - very very painful.) Yet another reason to hate the verdammt stuff. There was a small group of fellow pupils who loved it and the rest of us hated it; boy was it fat time for those who did.
But I've found a satisfactory use is to coat something with when you want a crispy crust without the pain of making breadcrumbs. It also has the advantage over breadcrumbs (proper ones) in that if you're putting it onto something damp, it doesn't soak all the dampness up and become claggy, if you're frying straight away. I'd heard of this before on TV cheffy programmes and I have to say, this wheeze works rather well.
5 ways to cook Brussels sprouts
7 years ago
Nigella uses it for the same reason - to make her roast potatoes crunchy :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for that MiMi, nice to know. I think she's gorgeous and she's a brilliant cook, but there's something slightly revolting about the vampy delivery. For that reason I don't watch her programmes!
ReplyDeleteChumbles, frogspawn was either tapioca or sago, if prepared correctly are wonderful.
ReplyDeleteI agree though, school milk puds have a lot to answer for. My school did make the most wondrous pies though.
Hi cakehole, I'll take your word for it! Although it must be said that I now realise that I don't like any milk puds for the very reason you say! I guess it was the skin on the top - which, by the by, put me off custard as well. Lord and I eat snails happily; I guess taste memories learnt in childhood are the hardest to overcome.
ReplyDelete